Merck has a long history of environmental responsibility and compliance, but we realize that the world's current approach to resource use is not sustainable and that more needs to be done.
We believe companies—including our own—share the responsibility for creating a sustainable economy. At Merck, we strive to respect and care for the health and well-being of people and the environment in everything we do while delivering life-saving innovative medicines to the world.
Our environmental sustainability efforts center on three areas:
Innovative Products & Packaging
- Challenging our scientists, colleagues and partners to imagine, discover and develop products that address global health needs in ways that protect and preserve the environment
- Working to minimize the life-cycle footprint of the packaging used to protect the integrity of our products
Sustainable Operations & Supply Chain
- Promoting ways to drive manufacturing efficiency and minimize the environmental footprint of our operations to preserve and protect the earth's natural resources
- Partnering with suppliers throughout our value chain who share our vision and who also commit to take action
An Integrated Approach
- Establishing a culture where the principles of environmental sustainability are understood and applied by every Merck employee and supplier
- Striving to integrate sustainability into our business decision-making processes throughout the company, to make sure our activities support Merck's "Be Well" mission not only for human and animal health but also for the environment